TIBS Champion Coach’s Annual Special Recipe - Lemon Cream Puffs
In response to the “2023 Taiwan Bakery Award - Rising Star ” event, the conference invited the collaboration of media platforms, DailyView, to determine the most popular baking item based on search volume and online discussion. The winner - puff. As a result, TIBS invited the master bakers Kuo-Yi Lee to share his exclusive puff recipes !
Lemon Cream Puffs- Recipe
Step 1 - Puffs
- Bring milk, water, unsalted butter, and salt to a boil.
- Sift the high- and low-gluten flour, and then pour into the boiling liquid.
- Use an egg beater to rapidly stir and form the dough (stir until the mixture forms into dough that can be taken out of the bowl)
- Beat the eggs and heat to 40℃. Add to the dough rapidly in small batches.
- Stir in the battered eggs in batches. Scrape the metal side evenly until the mixture liquidizes.
- Squeeze the puff mixture onto the baking pan (about 4 cm in diameter and 2 cm in height) and cover with the pineapple dough skin. Bake at 170℃ for 20 minutes.
- Raise heat to 160℃ and continue baking for 15-20 minutes to finish.
Step 2 - Pineapple Dough Skin
- Mix butter and #2 fine sugar until even.
- Sift high- and low-gluten flour together.
- Add almond powder and flour into the butter mixture.
- Mix the dough until even (no lumps).
- Press the dough into 0.5 cm thickness patties and place on a baking sheet.
- Use a round mold to cut out (diameter 5cm) rounds and place on top of the puffs.
Step3 - White Chocolate Yogurt Cream Mousse
- Melt the white chocolate in a hot water bath until the chocolate is liquid.
- Mix gelatin powder with drinking water until it becomes gelatin.
- Heat cream (1) until 60 degrees and add in vanilla seeds.
- Add gelatin into the cream and mix well.
- Add the yogurt into the mixture and mix evenly.
- Add the cold cream (2) and mix well.
- Refrigerate the mixture overnight.
- Use a mixer and beat the cold cream mousse until fluffy.
- Place in a saw tooth piping bag.
Step4 - Lemon Passion Fruit Butter Filling
- Heat yellow lemon juice and passion fruit puree until it boils.
- Mix egg and sugar, and beat until fluffy.
- Add the boiled mixture into the egg mixture.
- Heat the egg mixture in a hot water bath until it becomes thick.
- Mix gelatin powder and drinking water until it becomes condensed.
- Pour the gelatin into the thick lemon juice and egg liquid, and mix in lemon zest until even.
- Add in room temperature unsalted butter and mix until even.
- Cool in the refrigerator overnight.
- Place in a flat mouth piping bag.
Step5 - Decorative Materials
- Cut the puffs in half.
- Then cut off the side of the puffs and squeeze three rings of cream mousse around the puff.
- Fill the center of the puff with lemon filling until the filling is the same height of the mousse.
- Squeeze three more rings of cream mousse (upward)
- Use a zester to spread lemon zest evenly on the cream mousse
- Cap with the remaining puff cap and dash with powdered sugar to complete.